Over the last months since launching Diversity.VC in April 2016, the team and I have had numerous conversations about the challenges of breaking into the VC industry, particularly without a ‘traditional’ banking or consultancy background, or if in whatever way you are not cookie cutter.
Our mission with Diversity.VC is to make the industry more accessible to a broad range of people; not just those who know someone already working in it. So we’ve collected the resources below that our VC members have found useful for getting a job in Venture Capital. These cover: what the role involves, how to get a job, how to do the job and having the self-confidence to make a career change.
Background to Venture & the associate role
- Article: Mattermark’s beginner’s guide to Venture Capital
- Book: The hard thing about hard things, Ben Horowitz
- Blog: Paul Graham, Essays
- Blog: Fred Wilson, A VC
- Quora: What’s It Like to Work At A VC Firm?
- Quora: How Demanding is an Associate Position At a VC Firm?
- Quora: What do Associates at VC Firms Do?
- Quora: What’s It Like to be an Associate at a VC Firm?
- Article: Brendan Baker formerly of Greylock on How to Possibly Get a Job in Venture Capital
- Article: Charlie O’Donnell of BBV on What the Heck Does a VC Do All Week Anyway?
- Article: Andrew Parker of Spark Capital on How Has It Been Being A Career VC?
- Article: Simon Rothman of Greylock, Inside the mind of a Venture Capitalist
Breaking into Venture
- Article: Matt Turck of FirstMark Capital on Playing Fake VC
- Article: Chris Dixon of Andreessen Horowitz on Getting A Job In VC
- Article: Sarah Tavel of Greylock (formerly of BVP) on VC Pre-MBA Hiring
- Article: Adam Ludwin, formerly of RRE on So You’re an MBA Student that Wants to Work in VC?
- Article & newsletter: Pre-VC Career Tips Part 1 & Part 2 from a former consultant, now associate at a European VC firm, who also curates a listserve of European-specific VC career opportunities — LINK
- Article: Mergers & Inquisitions — Break Into Venture Capital
- Article: Brittany Laughlin of Union Square Ventures on Finding A VC Job
- Article: Gaurav Jain of Founder Collective on How To Be A VC Without Any Capital
- Article: David Teten of ffVC with ideas For Students Interested in Venture Capital
- Quora: How Does One Become An Associate At A Venture Capital Firm?
- Quora: What Is The Best Venture Capital Training?
- Quora: What Are Unconventional Ways To Get An Entry-Level Job At A VC Firm?
- Podcast: The 20 minute VC, Harry Stebbings — highly recommended. Every episode starts with a ‘how did you get into venture’ question
Technical education for Venture
- Book: Venture Deals: Be Smarter Than Your Lawyer and Venture Capitalistby Brad Feld & Jason Mendelson, Foundry Group
- Book: The Mom Test, How to talk to customers and learn if your business is a good idea when everyone is lying to you, Rob Fitzpatrick
- Article: Investor Due Diligence, HBR
- Article: How to do due diligence, The Path Forward, Forward Partners
- Article: Paige Craig of Arena Ventures on The 4 Ways Investors Find Great Startups
- Quora: Where can I download sample excel models?
- Article: SaaS KPI dashboard from Point 9 Capital
- Article: 10 Marketplace KPIs that matter, Andrei Brasoveanu, Accel
- Blog: Fred Wilson on How to build cap tables
Being self-confident (especially when you don’t feel it)
- Book: Lean In, Women, Work, and the Will to Lead, Sheryl Sandberg
- Ted Talk: Amy Cuddy, Your body language shapes who you are
- Ted Talk: Angela Lee Duckworth, Grit, The Power of Passion and Perseverance
- App: Calm: meditation and focus for daily life
- Article: 21 Ways to Overcome Imposter Syndrome by Kyle Eschenroeder
Big thanks to Weston Reynolds for curating some of these resources . We would love to add to this list. If you found these useful, notice any errors or have any other resources to add to this list, please tweet us @diversityvc or email email@example.com.
*Diversity.VC has one simple aim: To increase diversity of thought in venture capital. We are doing this by:
- Network: building a network of diverse VCs. If you are a VC who is interested in being part of these events or in promoting diversity of thought within VC, please get in touch and we will add you to our mailing list. We’ll be running events throughout the year.
- Pathway: educating students and young professionals about the VC world & increasing transparency of recruitment and establish VC as a career path. If you’re responsible for hiring at a VC and are looking for more diverse candidates we can help. Please get in touch and we will add you to our mailing list.
- Ecosystem: encouraging diverse entrepreneurs to start companies and give them access to funding.
- Data: investigating diversity in the VC industry in order to educate those within and outside the industry.